Implant Supported Dentures Newport Beach, CA
Implant-supported dentures offer a practical, comfortable, and natural-feeling tooth replacement option for many patients. They are often a good choice for people who are missing all their teeth but still have a strong and robust jawbone. Implant-supported dentures use dental implants in the jaw to hold dentures in place that feel and function more like natural teeth than removable dentures.
Implant-supported dentures are available at Fashion Isle Smiles in Newport Beach and the surrounding area. They are a durable and natural-looking option for replacing missing teeth. We are experienced with performing implant procedures and can help you get the best results from your dentures.
Take care of your missing teeth with implant-supported dentures by calling our office at (949) 717-0070 today to set up an appointment and learn more.
No valid shortcode found.
Implant Supported Dentures vs. Removable Dentures
For dentures, especially those replacing a full set of teeth, there are two common options: implant-supported and removable. As the names imply, the former use implants in your jawbone and are fixed in place, whereas the latter can be taken out.
According to the American Dental Association, there are many benefits to choosing implant-supported dentures. In particular, patients surveyed often felt implant-supported dentures were more comfortable than standard dentures. Many patients also report benefiting from fixed dentures using implants because they feel similar to natural teeth. They can eat with them and brush like normal. If cared for properly, implant-supported dentures can be a permanent solution to missing teeth.
However, implant-supported dentures have some drawbacks. They require a more extensive procedure for their placement than traditional dentures. Additionally, removable dentures do not always stay firmly in place. They often need to be adjusted to ensure a continued correct fit.
“Many patients also report benefiting from fixed dentures using implants because they feel similar to natural teeth.”
How To Get Implant Supported Dentures
To receive implant-supported dentures, you need to visit your dentist. If you go to a general dentist, he or she may suggest that you visit a practice that has experience placing implants, such as Fashion Isle Smiles. Choosing the right dentist to place your implants will help ensure good results from your dentures.
Your implant dentist will perform an examination and consultation to determine if implant-supported dentures are right for you. Dental implants require some jawbone for placement. So, people with deteriorated jaws may not be able to receive implants. However, as technology advances, dentists are increasingly able to strengthen and augment the jaw to allow implantation.
The implants are surgically placed in your jawbone. The dentures connect to these implants so that they stay firmly in place. The implantation may be done under sedation. While there may be a little discomfort, most people can return to their daily lives the next day following the procedure.
“The dentures connect to these implants so that they stay firmly in place.”
Types of Implant Supported Dentures
There are two main systems for implant-supported dentures: bar-retained and ball-retained. In either case, the system is supported by several implants placed in the jaw. Additionally, the dentures typically are made of acrylic or porcelain and look like natural teeth. The main difference between the two types is how the dentures connect to the implants.
- Bar-Retained: In this setup, a metal bar follows the curve of the jaw. It is anchored to the mouth with the implants. The dentures connect to the bar to hold them in place.
- Ball-Retained: Ball-retained dentures, also called stud-attached dentures, more directly connect the implants to the dentures. A small attachment on each implant connects with a socket on the dentures. Typically, this attachment is ball-shaped, hence the name.
“In either case, the system is supported by several implants placed in the jaw.”
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Implant Supported Dentures in Newport Beach, CA
Benefits of Implant Supported Dentures
Implant-supported dentures are a popular choice for teeth replacements. Our team is well-versed in its benefits and drawbacks and provides knowledgeable guidance to every patient. According to the American Academy of Periodontology, these are some of the benefits you can expect from implant-supported dentures:
- Patients find them to be comfortable: Many people find implant-supported dentures more comfortable than removable dentures because they stay in place more firmly. This means the implant-supported dentures will not rub against your mouth or cause sores in the same way that loose, removable dentures can.
- Natural-Looking: Implant-supported dentures look like natural teeth. So, you can have a beautiful smile that is not a set of dentures. This can be a significant confidence boost for many patients.
- Effective Tooth Replacement: Before dentures, tooth loss can affect the way one speaks and eating solid foods. Fixed dentures are more similar to natural teeth in terms of function. So, patients can return to speaking confidently and enjoying more of the foods that they did before tooth loss.
- Supports Bone Health: Removable dentures can harm your jawbone by pressing and rubbing against it constantly. Implant-supported dentures, conversely, are more firmly fixed. They interact with your jawbone, much like natural teeth.
“Implant-supported dentures look like natural teeth.”
Questions Answered on This Page
Q. What are the differences between implant supported dentures and removable dentures?
Q. How do I get implant supported dentures?
Q. Are there different types of implant supported dentures?
Q. What are the benefits of implant supported dentures?
People Also Ask
Q. Why are dentures a preferred treatment?
Q. What is an implant-supported fixed bridge?
Frequently Asked Questions About Implant Supported Dentures
Q. Can I remove my dentures?
A. No, implant-supported dentures cannot be removed by patients. They are a permanent appliance and must be placed and removed by a dentist. They are much like your natural teeth and will stay in your mouth at all times.
Q. Why not have an implant for each tooth?
A. Although single-tooth implants are a good treatment, it isn't necessary when replacing a row of teeth. It is more cost-effective and requires a less invasive procedure to get implant-supported dentures. It is an equally effective but simpler treatment.
Q. How many implants will I need?
A. Typically, implant-supported dentures are connected to the mouth with between two and five implants. It is common for an entire row to attach to four implants. However, the number needed varies from case to case.
Q. How long do implant supported dentures last?
A. Implant-supported dentures are a permanent appliance. With proper care and regular check-ups, they can last a lifetime. Your dentist will let you know if they need to be replaced.
Q. What is the success rate of implants?
A. With a skilled dentist, implants have a success rate of over 95%. Placement is a relatively simple procedure. However, it sometimes requires sedation, and there are occasionally minor complications.
Q. Which type of dentures do I need?
A. The American College of Prosthodontists suggests that you visit your dentist to determine which type of dentures is right for you. When you visit our office, our dentist will provide a consultation and exam. This initial evaluation will help inform the treatment plan.
Quality Dental Services Can Transform Your Smile
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
Definition of Denture Terminology
- Alveolar Bone
- The alveolar bone is the bone surrounding the root of the tooth that keeps the tooth in place.
- Denture Base
- The denture base is the part of the denture that connects the artificial teeth with the soft tissue of the gums.
- Periodontal Disease
- Periodontal disease is a condition that causes inflammation of the gingival tissues and membrane of the teeth, leading to tooth loss without professional treatment.
Call Us Today
Implant-supported dentures can replace your missing teeth in both form and function. They offer superior results for many patients compared to other replacement options. Call Fashion Isle Smiles at 949-717-0070 to set up an appointment and learn more
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2021
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2021
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2021
About our business and website security
- Fashion Isle Smiles was established in 2013.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Orange County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Turtle Rock and Huntington Beach
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details
Back to top of Implant Supported Dentures