Family Dentist Newport Beach, CA
A family dentist serves patients of most ages, addressing their different oral health needs as they grow older. Patients can keep seeing the same family dentist or the same group of family dentists for decades. Family dentist practices function as primary care dentists and treat family members such as parents, children, and grandparents.
Family dentist services are available at Fashion Isle Smiles in Newport Beach and the surrounding area. Our professionals perform many treatments in-house, and our office can be a centralized solution for your family's dentistry needs. You may even be able to schedule appointments for multiple family members at the same time or back-to-back. Call our office today at (949) 717-0070 to make an appointment.
No valid shortcode found.
The Philosophy of Family Dentistry
Family dentists work with both children and adults to care for these patients as they grow and change. These dentists emphasize patient involvement by providing accessible, continuous, patient-centered, and comprehensive care. The hallmarks of many family dentistry practices include services that benefit patients at all stages of life, such as:
- Accessibility for children, senior citizens, and other age groups
- Appointment availability the same day or in a few days, especially for emergencies or urgent care needs
- Dentists who are easy to talk to
- Dentists who focus on prevention and treatment
- Multiple appointments at the same time or close together
- Multiple dentists representing general dentistry and, sometimes, various specialties
- Possible flexible payment options
“Family dentists work with both children and adults to care for these patients as they grow and change.”
Understanding Family Dentistry
Family dentists make a point of getting to know their patients. They encourage regular checkups and catch emerging issues such as cavities. They provide continuity of care even if patients do not see the same professional on each visit. Information such as medical histories, diagnoses, and treatment plans are less likely to fall through any cracks. Centralized paperwork and familiarity with medical history also help dentists pinpoint and treat various oral health issues.
“Centralized paperwork and familiarity with medical history also help dentists pinpoint and treat various oral health issues.”
Age Groups Treated by Family Dentistry
Parents and caregivers are busy, and family dentists make their lives easier. For example, parents can schedule appointments for their children simultaneously at the same dental office. Similarly, parents can seek out a practice that offers general dentistry in addition to certain services such as orthodontics for a child who needs braces. Since family dentists can treat patients of all ages, some family dental practices take care of most or all of a family's dental needs under one roof for decades.
“Parents and caregivers are busy, and family dentists make their lives easier.”
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Family Dentist in Newport Beach, CA
Needs Treated by Family Dentistry
A family dentist can practice alone, but some partner with other dentists. Whatever the case, a family dentist treats various needs. Patients often turn to their family dental practice for checkups, cleanings, cavity prevention and treatment, tooth decay deterrence, and gum disease prevention. Some practices may even provide orthodontic services, cosmetic dentistry, pediatric dentistry, and other types of specialized dentistry. When necessary, family dentists refer patients to specialized dentists for other types of treatment.
“Patients often turn to their family dental practice for checkups, cleanings, cavity prevention and treatment, tooth decay deterrence, and gum disease prevention.”
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
What to Know About the First Appointment With a Family Dentist
A patient's first visit to a family dentist will consist of a thorough physical examination to assess their needs and current dental health. This will involve a dental exam and updated X-rays. X-rays are particularly essential as they can diagnose and evaluate any potential issues that an exam cannot detect. Fashion Isle Smiles will also perform a thorough dental cleaning as part of the first visit. Then, once completed, our team will discuss any X-ray results and devise a customized treatment plan to meet each patient's unique needs.
“A patient’s first visit to a family dentist will consist of a thorough physical examination to assess their needs and current dental health.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Can a family dentist fit my child with braces?
A. You can find that information on each practice's website or by calling the office. However, a family group without an orthodontist may refer children to the appropriate orthodontic professionals.
Q. Do family dentists see children and adults with disabilities?
A. Many do. However, it is best to check with the office before making an appointment. For example, in a practice with multiple dentists, just one or two may handle patients with certain disabilities.
Q. What is the age range for a family dentist's patients?
A. Family dentists treat most ages, caring for both children and senior citizens. If the practice includes a pediatric dentist, it might accept infant patients. Otherwise, a family dentist tends to see children once they are in kindergarten.
Q. Can a family dentist treat cavities?
A. Most likely, yes. However, if the cavity is severe enough, family dentists may need to refer patients elsewhere for more specialized care. Regular checkups with your family dentist can help prevent cavities.
Q. How often do people visit their family dentist?
A. In general, each patient should visit once or twice a year. Dentists prefer to see children every six months. Meanwhile, adults with teeth in excellent condition might visit only once a year. People who are pregnant, undergoing chemotherapy, or dealing with serious health issues may need to visit their dentist more frequently than twice a year. We can help determine your unique risk profile.
Q. Is a family dentist the same as a general dentist?
A. They are not necessarily the same, although both types of dentists can be primary care providers. A family dental practice offers general dentistry services for most ages. A pedodontist, periodontist, or another specialist can work for a family practice as part of a comprehensive care approach. On the other hand, a general dentistry practice focuses only on the patients' overall oral health needs. It may not always take a family-friendly approach. For example, a general dentist might not have multiple appointments available at the same time or a waiting room that caters to various age groups.
Quality Dental Services Can Transform Your Smile
By visiting us as soon as possible, our team can help get you the professional treatment you need. Instead of waiting around and allowing the symptoms to get worse, we can provide you with treatment options.
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries are also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
Learn More About Family Dentists
Family dentist services save families time and provide high-level continuity of care. Call Fashion Isle Smiles at 949-717-0070 to schedule an appointment in Newport Beach and discuss your preferences for a family dental practice.
Helpful Related Links
- American Dental Association (ADA). Glossary of Dental Terms. 2021
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry® (AACD). Home Page. 2021
- WebMD. WebMD’s Oral Care Guide. 2021
About our business and website security
- Fashion Isle Smiles was established in 2013.
- We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
- We serve patients from the following counties: Orange County
- We serve patients from the following cities: Newport Beach, Corona Del Mar, Costa Mesa, Irvine, Turtle Rock and Huntington Beach
- Norton Safe Web. View Details
- Trend Micro Site Safety Center. View Details